Thursday 24 May 2012

Finding Me


Tomorrow is my birthday… this week has been a lovely run up to the day. I received a letter from my cousin over the Atlantic, I went for a picnic, I lay under a tree with my eyes closed listening to the birds singing, I’ve counted my blessings, thought about times past, dreamt about times to come and I’ve prayed too, quietly and carefully. I have a feeling this coming year will be busy with excitement, so I’m making the most of this peace. I'm growing up, I hope I never stop growing up. I've grown a lot since this picture!
One year older... 
Am I wiser? 
Maybe. 
Am I more experienced? 
Yes. 
Am I happy? 
Most of the time. 
Am I hopeful? 
ALWAYS!!!

When I feel fresh I choose to eat fish, and as my Birthday falls on a Friday I shall EAT this most delicious Peppered Tuna Carpaccio.
There are no secrets to making this. It is pure and simple. The taste is silk on the tongue with a sharp kick of spice and a lovely zing of lemon.
I love the sea and all that is fresh. This light and elegant lunch come starter is just the tonic on a warm summers day. Freeze the tuna for two hours to make it easier to slice and if you can find some, try using pink peppercorns for extra colour and beauty.

PINK PEPPER 

is delicate. Fragrant with a heat that suggests, “It’s time to spice up your life.” Not in fact a peppercorn, it’s a berry with blissful benefits including boosting digestion and being anti-bacterial. Green and black peppercorns will work too; though expect a sharper heat with less subtlety.

A FEW REASONS WHY THE BODY LOVES TUNA

  • BURSTING with minerals and B-vitamins!
  • OMEGA XXX’s bring happy hearts and protect our eyes against macular degeneration.
  • BRINGS cognitive clarity, and keeps the ‘oul brain ticking beautifully.
  • BRIGHTENS the mood and brings sunshine to our feelings.
  • GREAT for liver health!!!


So this plate of goodness is my gift to me. The older I get, one thing becomes more apparent, I have more choice in my LIFE.

One of the loveliest things about birthdays is the way they link memories and signify clear markers in time. I feel blessed and fruitful AND think I'm learning to fly! I hope you are too and wish you so much joy and fulfilment today and always.

Thank you for reading my blog and please share to help Feeling Food grow too.

Lots of love,

FFX

PEPPERED TUNA CARPACCIO

SERVES 3 AS A STARTER OR
SERVES 2 AS A LIGHT LUNCH

Fresh tuna loin, 250g
Extra virgin olive oil, a drizzle
Pink peppercorns, 1tbs crushed
Maldon salt, a sprinkle
Parmesan shavings, 2 tbsp
Mixed seasonal salad leaves, 1 handful
Lemon wedges

CUT the loin in half, depending on shape of loin. Ideally you are aiming for a sausage shape.
BRUSH tuna with olive oil.
ROLL in the crushed pink peppercorns.
WRAP tightly in cling film to form a large sausage shape, roll to give a round shape.
CHILL in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
UNWRAP the tuna.
SLICE tuna as thinly as possible using a very sharp knife.
ARRANGE on a large white plate in a circular flower shape. Lovely!
DRIZZLE with more oil and scatter over salad leaves and a sprinkling of salt to your taste.
SQUEEZE over some lemon juice and scatter wedges artistically.
SERVE immediately.
SING a sweet song of love and laugh too for a meal to savour.
XXX

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! even though I don't eat raw fish, this still makes my mouth water! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Fashionista: ) Perhaps you could sear the tuna for a minute on either side and then allow to cool - follow the recipe as above and it would still be delicious!!! FFX

      Delete

I'm glad you're here and would love to know what you think? If there’s a dish or a type of food you’d like to see here, please do let me know. Your comments, notes, tweets always bring a smile to my face. Thanks very much for stopping by at Feeling Food:)