Thursday 3 March 2011

Spring Stew

Calm in a bowl of stew

Clear stock with fresh seasonal vegetables, all bright and pure, served in simple bowls is a supper to stir stars in our bellies! I’ve not been writing my blog recently and I’ve missed it, I’ve missed you! I love hearing your thoughts and feedback. Some Feeling Food friends prefer not to leave comments and that is fine too, whatever makes you happy;-) I love to share with you and this recipe seems like a good one to welcome warmer days and vivid colours and to say an overdue hello! Hola to you!
 
This morning whilst walking with my son I noticed the purple bud of a crocus. It was beautiful. Spring is upon us, though the frost has another story to tell. On any given day we all experience the world differently. Grey sky and pink flowers? It's difficult not to feel happier for seeing flowers!



Stories are a great way of making sense of things and yesterday I met an old friend who told me two, two crackers. A great story is one to be shared again and again, like a delicious recipe. I love listening and I love learning. Both qualities abound in the kitchen and turn the ordinary, that to some may seem mundane, into an exquisite experience of being present and grounded. Family recipes are some such dishes, to ignite camaraderie, establish bonds and foster happy associations with food and friends alike! Lovely! And this stew that celebrates Spring should make an appearance sometime soon upon your table.

Special tip - Eat in good company, avoid unnecessary distractions, TV, radio, reading, and intense conversations, anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. Simplicity and calm make for the tastiest stews!

“Springtime is the land awakening. The March winds are the morning yawn.”

Lewis Grizzard

Spring Stew
Two carrots make a merry pair!

SERVES 4

Baby new potatoes 200g cooked
Olive oil, 1 tbsp
Red onion, 1 finely sliced
Garlic clove, 2 crushed
Thyme, 1 sprig
Lime, 1 zest and juice
Peas, 100g
Baby carrots, 100g peeled
Baby leeks, 4 trimmed and halved
Baby sweet corn, 6
Asparagus spears, trimmed 7
Vegetable stock, 400ml
Purple endive, 3 roughly chopped
Mint, 2 tbsp roughly chopped

HEAT oil in a large pan.
ADD red onion, garlic, thyme, lime zest and juice, fry for a few minutes.
MIX in peas, carrots, leeks, sweet corn, asparagus and fry for a further five minutes.
POUR over stock and season to your taste.
SIMMER for 15 minutes.
ADD cooked potatoes and simmer for a few more minutes.
SECONDS before serving stir in mint and purple endive.
SURRENDER to Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here and would love to know what you think? If there’s a dish or a type of food you’d like to see here, please do let me know. Your comments, notes, tweets always bring a smile to my face. Thanks very much for stopping by at Feeling Food:)