Wednesday 21 December 2011

Million-dollar mincemeat

The million-dollar question: what is love?
Christmas.

Christmas.

And I'll say it one more time,

Christmas!

Christmas brings past, present and future together like no other day. Emotions run high this time of year. Pressure pulses, lights flash and the true message of Christmas may sometimes get lost in tinsel. The Feeling Food approach to Christmas ~ forget the spending, the wrapping, the card writing and the grand expectations - simply be. Be true to you! And enjoy the very special moments that dance a merry tune this time of year . . . 

What is the million-dollar commodity?

Time. Tick tock, time. Take some time to figure out what will make this Christmas special for you? Be thankful for challenges, they make you strong, be gentle with your foes, it'll make you wiser, and above all cherish those you love, they are priceless.

Life is precious.

An old friend, Angela, asked me for a mincemeat recipe. I've chatted with my dear Granny, looked through my beloved Mums Christmas notebook and thought to myself, what would go into a million dollar mincemeat recipe? And here is my special mincemeat recipe, a happy combination of all three! Enlightened with fig, given a fantastic health boost by goji berries and cranberries (wonder foods) freshened by lime and given festive cheer with ruby port and cointreau for good measure.
As I pottered about making this, with the radio in the background playing Christmas tunes, I couldn’t help but feel thankful. What a simple pleasure it is to make mincemeat. Fragrant scents and gentle mixing make this day feel more festive.

Wishing you peace and warmth.

Lots of love,

FFX

Million dollar mincemeat

MAKES 1 litre

Bramley apples, 200g, peeled, cored and chopped
Dried cranberries, 75g
Goji berries, 75g
Figs, 150g trimmed and chopped
Sultanas, 150g
Raisins, 150g
Vegetarian suet, 150g
Soft light brown sugar, 150g
Limes, 2 zest and juice only
Lemon extract, 1 tsp
Vanilla extract, 1 tsp
Honey, 2 tbsp
Cointreau, 30ml
Ruby port, 60ml
Ground ginger, 1 tsp
Ground cinnamon, 1 tsp

MIX all the ingredients together.
HEAT in a large saucepan gently, until suet has melted and everything is glistening.
SPOON into sterilised jars and seal.
MERRY goodness awaits!

2 comments:

  1. I love this recipe, including its goji and port alternatives. I shall be making some and very happy to have out forward my request! Tastes wonderful mixed with custard in pies or morning pastries xxxxx. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Angel,

    Those are some lovely suggestions!

    I made a creme anglaise last week. I'll serve it with some mincemeat next time!

    I hope you and all the family are having a lovely Christmas time! Morning pastries sound so festive too.

    Big hug to you and warm merry Christmas best wishes. FFxoxox

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here and would love to know what you think? If there’s a dish or a type of food you’d like to see here, please do let me know. Your comments, notes, tweets always bring a smile to my face. Thanks very much for stopping by at Feeling Food:)